Flights from 10 completely different nations landed in Toronto within the first eight days of September with COVID-19-infected passengers.
Based on information supplied by the federal authorities, 19 flights touched down in Toronto between Sept. 1 and Sept. eight with individuals who later examined optimistic for the illness.
The USA, India, Germany and Mexico are amongst a few of the 10 nations the place the flights originated from.
For individuals who do, it’s obligatory to self-isolate for 14 days, no matter whether or not or not they’re experiencing signs of COVID-19.
Passengers are usually not notified instantly by federal public well being authorities to get examined, although the federal government acknowledges these onboard affected flights “could have been uncovered to COVID-19.”
Final week, Ontario Premier Doug Ford mentioned that Ontario police checks have uncovered 622 quarantine-order scofflaws for the reason that begin of the pandemic.
Ford mentioned he’s annoyed that solely a small fraction of these folks had been truly charged.
“The system is damaged,” Ford mentioned. “I want the assistance from the federal authorities to make an modification or change it. Why have our police go round and checking to see if individuals are quarantining if they are not going to observe up with a cost?”
If somebody breaches a quarantine order, federal quarantine officers can lay prices with penalties of as much as six months in jail and fines of $750,000, whereas police can challenge tickets of as much as $1,000.
Whereas greater than 2.5 million border-crossings have been recorded for the reason that finish of March, solely a fraction of crossers are ordered to quarantine, whereas the remainder are exempt as important employees, equivalent to truck drivers, front-line well being workers or airline crew.
Important employees should not work with anybody over the age of 65 for no less than two weeks, and should put on masks if they cannot bodily distance from others.
The worldwide flights which have landed in Toronto since Sept. 1 embrace:
- Air Canada flight AC43 from Delhi to Toronto on Sept. 1
- United Airways flight UA3458 from Chicago to Toronto on Sept. 2
- Turkish Airways flight TK17 from Istanbul to Toronto on Sept. 2
- GoJet Airways DBA United Specific flight UA4552 from Chicago to Toronto on Sept. 2
- Ethiopian Airways flight ET552 from Addis Ababa to Toronto on Sept. 2
- Air Canada flight AC1255 from Kingston to Toronto on Sept. 2
- Air Canada flight AC847 from Munich to Toronto on Sept. 2
- Hello Fly flight 5K531 from Delhi to Toronto on Sept. three
- Egypt Air flight MS995 from Cairo to Toronto on Sept. three
- Turkish Airways flight TK17 from Istanbul to Toronto on Sept. four
- LOT Polish Airways flight LO45 from Warsaw to Toronto on Sept. four
- Air Canada flight AC873 from Frankfurt to Toronto on Sept. four
- Air Canada flight AC1255 from Kingston to Toronto on Sept. four
- Air Canada battle AC43 from Delhi to Toronto on Sept. 5
- Air Canada flight AC873 from Frankfurt to Toronto on Sept. 5
- Lufthansa flight LH470 from Frankfurt to Toronto on Sept. 6
- Aeromexico flight AM616 from Mexico Metropolis to Toronto on Sept. 6
- Air Canada flight AC43 from Delhi to Toronto on Sept. 7
- Turkish Airways flight TK17 from Istanbul to Toronto on Sept. eight
— With information from The Canadian Press.