Chicago’s roving bands of catalytic converter thieves made their solution to Lakeview this week. The entire witnessed incidents have been reported between four a.m. and 5:30 a.m., typical prime working hours for the crews.
Catalytic converter thieves usually use saws to take away the gadgets from below parked autos, then promote them for $100 to $200 every at scrapyards. The components are particularly useful as a result of they comprise costly metals.
CWBChicago acquired experiences of catalytic converter thefts throughout Lakeview:
- within the 3800 block of North Wayne round 5 a.m. on October eight
- within the 2000 block of West Wellington round 5:30 a.m. on October 9
- within the 1200 block of West Faculty round four:15 a.m. on October 10
- within the 1400 block of West Waveland early on October 14
There isn’t a description out there for any of the offenders — however witnesses reported seeing between two and 4 males working at every scene.
SUVs are sometimes focused as a result of their excessive floor clearance makes it simpler to entry the undercarriage with a noticed. Victims not often know that their catalytic converter has been stolen till they begin their automotive. That’s after they’ll be startled by a loud, roaring sound of their freshly-unmuffled engine.
Need to make your automotive’s catalytic converter much less enticing to thieves? Strive the following pointers:
- Have your license plate quantity engraved on the half to make resale harder.
- At all times park your automotive in a storage, if out there. If not, contemplate parking with the motive force’s facet subsequent to the curb (this makes accessing the converter a little bit harder).
- Set up a catalytic converter theft prevention package that basically locations a cage across the half, making theft practically unattainable.