• A 28-year-old man, Australian-born Dunedin resident Brenton Harrison Tarrant, has appeared in court docket this morning charged with homicide after Friday’s Christchurch mosque shootings
• He has been remanded in custody with out plea till April 5 – and smirked as he stood within the dock
• 49 are confirmed useless following the terrorist shootings at two Christchurch mosques
• 41 have been killed at mosque close to Hagley Park, seven at Linwood, and one died in hospital
• Greater than 40 folks have been hospitalised with a variety of accidents, together with a critically harm 5-year-old boy flown to Starship
• Shooter had 5 weapons together with two semi-automatic weapons – and PM Jacinda Ardern says: ‘Our gun legal guidelines will change’
• Tonight’s Highlanders v Crusaders Tremendous Rugby match in Dunedin has been cancelled
• Occasions across the nation have been cancelled right now, together with Polyfest in Auckland, Pleasure in Wellington and Bryan Adams in Christchurch
A 28-year-old man has appeared in court docket this morning charged with homicide after yesterday’s Christchurch mosque shootings.
Brenton Harrison Tarrant, whose deal with was given as Andersons Bay in Dunedin, made an look from custody at Christchurch District Courtroom.
He appeared in white jail clothes, with manacled fingers, and barefoot. He smirked when media photographed him within the dock, flanked by two cops.
Tarrant is accused of murdering a person, whose title was suppressed by Choose Paul Kellar on grounds of undue hardship to his household, in Christchurch yesterday.
Tarrant was remanded in custody with out plea to the Excessive Courtroom in Christchurch on April 5.
Responsibility lawyer Richard Peters stated no utility for bail can be made. No utility for title suppression was made.
Nonetheless, whereas Choose Kellar granted in court docket images and filming, he ordered that his face be pixelated to protect any honest trial rights.
No occupation for Tarrant was listed on the charging doc.
The courtroom was closed to the general public.
Three permitted New Zealand media retailers have been granted in-court purposes to movie and take images.
They have been escorted into court docket by safety workers.
The choose briefed media earlier than the listening to.
There was an enormous media presence exterior court docket this morning, together with many worldwide information retailers.
Solely accredited media have been allowed in court docket right now.
There have been armed police in court docket this morning.
Tarrant had a minimize on his higher lip. He was silent all through.
He checked out media within the public gallery.