Lynwood standoff ends; suspect not linked to deputy ambush

Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies took into custody a carjacking suspect late Tuesday, ending an almost nine-hour standoff in Lynwood rife with hypothesis that the Sheriff’s Division had cornered the gunman who shot two deputies at point-blank vary 4 days earlier.

Sheriff’s Sgt. Bob Boese skewered that principle Tuesday evening, telling reporters that the person in custody, Deonte Murray, was suspected not of ambushing the sheriff’s deputies however of capturing a person and stealing his automobile two weeks earlier.

The large police presence in Lynwood was prompted by the truth that Murray, 36, had shot his carjacking sufferer with a “high-powered rifle,” Boese stated, in addition to a “heightened sense of consciousness” after the assault on the deputies Saturday.

The deputies, a 31-year-old lady and a 24-year-old man, had been sitting in a patrol automobile outdoors a Metro station in Compton when a gunman approached and fired a number of rounds into their our bodies. They survived and are recovering.

Sheriff Alex Villanueva promised an exhaustive seek for the gunman. When the division stated Tuesday afternoon that it had dispatched its Particular Enforcement Bureau — the sheriff’s shock troops — to take care of a barricaded suspect in Lynwood, social media hummed with hypothesis that that they had cornered the shooter.

Boese poured chilly water on the idea.

“Right now,” he stated in saying Murray’s arrest, “there isn’t any info that will lead us to imagine that he’s concerned within the capturing of our deputies.

“He’s a carjacking suspect and he will probably be booked for carjacking and assault with a lethal weapon,” Boese stated.

Two weeks in the past, Boese stated, deputies stationed in Compton responded to a carjacking within the 500 block of Essey Avenue and located a 51-year-old whose automobile had been stolen and who had been shot within the leg.

Gang investigators obtained an arrest warrant and started looking for Murray, who was noticed Tuesday close to the intersection of Alondra Boulevard and Bradfield Avenue, Boese stated. Deputies tried to cease him in his Toyota Solara, Boese stated, however Murray took off, with the deputies in pursuit.

Murray ditched the automobile within the 3000 block of Carlin Avenue in Lynwood and hid in a house, Boese stated.

Into the night, deputies blocked residents from coming into or leaving a taped-off space. Helicopters buzzed overhead.

Christina Carrillo, 30, waited Tuesday evening together with her spouse outdoors the world, hoping to succeed in their two youngsters quickly.

Carrillo, who has lived within the space for about 10 years, stated she fearful that the capturing of the 2 deputies in close by Compton would improve distrust between the neighborhood and legislation enforcement.

“It got here near residence,” she stated. “The stress is one thing we don’t want.”

After almost 9 hours, deputies used tear fuel and a police canine to flush Murray from the property. They discovered him hiding inside a trash bin behind the property, Boese stated.