Man accused of holding Melbourne animal shelter employee at gunpoint allegedly returned for cat | Melbourne

A person accused of holding a lady at gunpoint whereas demanding to know where the cats were at a Melbourne animal shelter allegedly returned the subsequent day, whereas police had been current, to gather his lacking cat.

Tony Wittman, 44, was charged with kidnapping, false imprisonment, housebreaking and weapons expenses after allegedly threatening a 23-year-old lady with a loaded assault rifle on the Misplaced Canine House in Cranbourne West on Monday.

He was denied bail in a Melbourne magistrates court docket listening to on Wednesday, when it was revealed he allegedly pressured the girl onto her knees at gunpoint earlier than tying her up with cable ties.

The court docket heard Wittman threatened to shoot her if she didn’t present him the place the cats had been.

In a doc tabled in court docket, police alleged Wittman contacted the animal shelter in Melbourne’s south-east at 5.50pm on Monday on the lookout for his misplaced cat. He was informed his cat was there, however that the shelter closed at 6pm, and Wittman allegedly scheduled an appointment to choose the cat up the subsequent day.

Nonetheless, police allege that Wittman drove to the Misplaced Canine House at eight.30pm that night time, then returned dwelling the place he “deliberate to drive entry” into the animal shelter “to retrieve his cat”.

It’s alleged by police that Wittman “packed full navy fashion Swat clothes” and “a big assault rifle fashion battery powered gel blaster”, earlier than returning to the shelter at 10.20pm.

Detective Senior Constable Jo MacDonald informed the court docket Wittman carried the rifle in a “risk place” whereas breaking into the animal shelter.

The alleged sufferer, a workers member, drove in at round 10.30pm and noticed Wittman pointing the weapon at her, MacDonald mentioned.

“Do as I say and hearken to me, and I gained’t damage you,” he allegedly informed the girl. She was tied with cable ties earlier than Wittman fled the scene empty-handed, the court docket heard.

In accordance with the police’s alleged details, Wittman then returned to the animal shelter the subsequent morning when it was open – whereas police had been there investigating – and supplied his identification and requested for his cat again.

Wittman informed police on the shelter he had “tried to get his cat again the night time earlier than”, and agreed to point out police his automobile and allow them to it. He allegedly informed them the cat was a help cat for a buddy with psychological well being points.

On Wednesday, Wittman informed the court docket that he suffers post-traumatic stress dysfunction from navy service and “typically he can act with out interested by the results”, in accordance with court docket paperwork.

He said that he “loves his cat and depends on his cat for help”.

“I need assistance,” he informed the court docket, requesting if the applying was refused that he be despatched to a psychiatric facility as an alternative of jail.

“I apologise for taking over your time as we speak,” he mentioned.

Wittman’s lawyer, Crystle Gomez-Vasquez, informed the court docket that her shopper was “involved about issues being exaggerated within the media and he feels that he’s not protected”.

Gomez-Vasquez mentioned it was her shopper’s first time in custody, he had a prognosis of PTSD, and spinal and knee accidents.

The Justice of the Peace mentioned the extraordinarily severe threats made with loaded firearms meant the group can be in danger if Wittman was freed on bail.

Wittman is due again in court docket on 7 April.