Three workers have been checked over by St John after a high-level disinfectant was spilled in a carry on the Kids’s Pavilion in Dunedin Hospital.
Firefighters had been known as to the hospital about four.25pm on Tuesday after fumes had been reported coming from a hospital ward, Hearth and Emergency New Zealand (Fenz) spokesman Andrew Norris mentioned.
4 hearth engines, a big ladder and a command unit had been despatched to the scene, whereas St John despatched two ambulances.
Southern District Well being Board chief government Chris Fleming mentioned in a press release that one of many lifts in a non-clinical space of the Kids’s Pavilion was closed after Rapicide – a high-level disinfectant – was spilled about three.30pm on Tuesday.
* Hawke’s Bay DHB investigates chemical spill that sparked evacuation
* Crystalised chemical destroyed in controlled detonation in Dunedin
* Employee injured after acid spill at Dunedin company
“The substance was disposed of in a hazardous waste space within the decrease basement. This led to a launch of fumes, inflicting this space to be remoted as nicely.”
The workers concerned had been checked by St John as a precaution, however didn’t required additional therapy. No sufferers, members of the general public or different workers had been uncovered to the substance, Fleming mentioned.
The affected areas had been remoted till they could possibly be absolutely cleaned. The automotive park within the decrease basement space of Dunedin Hospital had been cleared and reopened by eight.30pm.
“We’re investigating the incident and Worksafe is being notified. We thank everybody for his or her understanding through the disruption.”
Cumberland St, the northbound street on Dunedin’s one-way system, had been blocked off between Frederick and Hanover streets.
A reporter on the scene mentioned the closure was inflicting site visitors chaos through the rush hour.
Police refused entry to motorists and pedestrians as firefighters handled the chemical incident on the hospital.
Firefighters had completed up and left the location by 9pm, a Fenz spokeswoman mentioned. The positioning had been decontaminated.