Second-degree homicide trial: On Day 1, ByWard Market killer admits to capturing

Article content material continued

Ahmed, now 32, has pleaded not responsible, however on his first day of trial Monday, he admitted a sequence of details, together with that he shot and killed Rashid-Ghader on the defunct ByWard Market nightclub Sentral on the morning of Aug. 14, 2016. He shot him twice within the chest, with one of many hollow-point bullets piercing his coronary heart. It was the deadly wound, courtroom heard.

Ahmed’s defence workforce — Vanessa Garcia and Solomon Friedman — consented to the admissions.

The prosecutor’s opening remarks on the judge-alone trial didn’t point out a motive.

The case is anchored in safety footage that captured the struggle and capturing, nevertheless it’s grainy and the digicam didn’t catch all of the angles.

Purcell instructed courtroom that the buddies socialized collectively — even greeted each other with a hug — however later, a struggle broke out between them, with Rashid-Ghader swinging first with a bottle at Ahmed’s head.

It was round and hour-and-a-half previous final name and the nightclub was nearly empty, however regulars Rashid-Ghader and Ahmed had been nonetheless on the bar, and, for unexplained causes, they began to struggle and wrestled to the bottom after Rashid-Ghader swung the bottle. It turned lethal when Rashid-Ghader was on prime of Ahmed. Simply as a bouncer was attempting to drag Rashid-Ghader off, Ahmed fired two rounds.

When Ahmed left the nightclub, others got here to Rashid-Ghader’s assist.

Ottawa cops, simply across the nook, arrived on the scene in seconds flat.

Cory Robertson was a patrol sergeant on the time, and was one of many first on the scene. Workers Sgt. Robertson testified Monday that he heard a lady in the back of the Dalhousie Road nightclub yelling that somebody had been shot inside. Robertson and different officers entered the below-street-level bar, going downstairs with their weapons drawn within the dimly lit nightclub.