Julian McKenzie, The Canadian Press
Printed Tuesday, September eight, 2020 eight:00PM EDT
MONTREAL – Three Quebec cupboard ministers and Montreal Mayor Valerie Plante are self-isolating after a suburban mayor contracted COVID-19.
Justice Minister Simon Jolin-Barrette, Transport Minister Francois Bonnardel and Chantal Rouleau, the minister answerable for the Montreal area, have been positioned in isolation after studying Longueuil Mayor Sylvie Guardian examined optimistic for the novel coronavirus.
All three ministers and members of their workers met with Guardian final week and had been to be examined Tuesday for COVID-19.
Plante says she had not met with Guardian however did meet with Rouleau in the previous few days.
“I’ll put myself, as a precaution, in preventive isolation till Ms. Rouleau’s take a look at outcomes are identified,” Plante tweeted.
Nationwide meeting members Ian Lafreniere and Catherine Fournier and Laval Mayor Marc Demers additionally stated they are going to self-isolate and get examined after attending occasions final week the place Guardian was current.
The information got here because the province launched a regional alert system within the hopes of stifling a possible second wave of the novel coronavirus.
Provincial Well being Minister Christian Dube unveiled the four-level, colour-coded system Tuesday. The degrees are inexperienced for vigilance, yellow for an early warning, orange for average alert and pink for max alert.
“We’re observing a rise in public (outbreaks),” Dube instructed a information convention in Montreal. “I repeat, well being directions have to be adopted. Every one could make a giant, large distinction in containing the virus.”
The degrees carry completely different measures to be enacted relying on the standing of an outbreak, together with decreasing the variety of folks in non-public gatherings, limiting journey between areas and curbing business actions.
Dube burdened that approaches will probably be completely different for every area and that “short-term measures” could possibly be enacted in particular areas, relying on transmission.
Well being officers been evaluating completely different Quebec areas because the week of Aug. 15. 4 areas – Quebec Metropolis, Laval, Outaouais and Estrie – are on the early warning, or yellow, stage, Dube stated.
Montreal is at present at inexperienced after coming into the yellow stage final month.
“The virus is current. It is a traitor, it is going to stab us within the again,” public well being director Horacio Arruda warned. “So we’d like these ranges.”
In the meantime, the Quebec authorities says as much as 120 faculties might have already been affected by COVID-19 since lessons started final week.
The federal government launched an inventory of colleges which have both confirmed or potential circumstances of the novel coronavirus amongst college students and workers.
Seventy faculties had recorded not less than one case as of the top of day Friday, starting from elementary by highschool.
One other 50 faculties, together with 19 within the Montreal space, are listed as having potential circumstances. The federal government says these faculties will have to be verified as a result of the knowledge was not transmitted by the established course of.
Training Minister Jean-Francois Roberge instructed a information convention in Quebec Metropolis that there have been 118 confirmed COVID-19 circumstances amongst lecturers and college students since lessons resumed.
Roberge stated the numbers have to be put in perspective. “After we speak about 120 faculties probably affected, that is out of a complete of three,100, and once we speak about 118 folks, that is out of 1.four million,” he stated.
Quebec well being authorities reported 163 new circumstances of COVID-19 throughout the province Tuesday and no further deaths. Beforehand, the province had seen two straight days with greater than 200 new circumstances of the novel coronavirus.
The variety of hospitalizations associated to the virus stays at 105, whereas the variety of sufferers in intensive care has dropped to 15.
Quebec has now seen 63,876 circumstances of COVID-19 and 5,770 deaths because the pandemic started.
This text by The Canadian Press was first printed Sept. eight, 2020.
– With recordsdata from Caroline Plante in Quebec Metropolis